The responsibility of the Investigative Services Section is to conduct follow-up investigations of all reported felony offenses and certain misdemeanor offenses that occur in the City of Dixon. The Division's detectives investigate crimes that have possible suspects or leads which may be too complex or time consuming for the assigned patrol officer to accommodate in a timely manner. Detectives are dedicated to efficient, timely and thorough criminal investigations to determine facts as they relate to the innocence or guilt of those suspected of criminal activity.
The objectives of such investigations are the identification and prosecution of those individuals responsible for the crime.
The Investigations Division consists of several components with distinct responsibilities:
- Auto Theft - responsible for the investigation of stolen vehicles (felony and misdemeanor), and receiving stolen property offenses involving vehicles.
- Crimes against Juveniles - responsible for investigating child neglect or abuse.
- Crimes Against Persons - responsible for the investigation of homicides, questionable deaths, robberies, aggravated assaults, adult missing persons, and Computer Voice Stress Analyzer (CVSA).
- Economic Crimes - responsible for the investigation of white-collar crimes, including forgery, fraud, misuse of credit cards, Identity Theft, embezzlement, and High-Tech Crimes.
- Family Violence - responsible for the investigation of Domestic Violence, Elder Abuse and providing victim advocate services to crime victims and witnesses.
- Property Crimes - responsible for the investigation of property crimes including vandalism, burglary, theft, and receiving stolen property.
- Sexual Assaults - responsible for the investigation of sexual battery, rape, and other sex offenses (felony and misdemeanor).
Narcotics & Drug Activity
The City of Dixon Police Department actively pursues drug violators and illegal narcotic activity within the City of Dixon. The Investigations Unit conducts ongoing investigations into those individuals who are suspected of possessing illegal narcotics and or possession of illegal narcotics for sales. Both Patrol Officers and Detectives aggressively pursue individuals who are suspected of being involved in local streets sales of illegal narcotics.