A   A   A

Frequently Asked Questions
No answers matched your search
Animal Control
Where do I get a dog license?

You can register your dog for a dog license at:
City Hall
600 E A Street
Dixon, CA 95620

The following documents are required: rabies vaccination certificate or Solano County renewal notice if rabies are still current, and spay / neuter certificate if applicable. Dog licenses will be mailed to you from PetData after registration. If you have any questions, please call 877-242-8408 or visit PetData.

Who do I call if I see a deceased or stray animal?

If you see a deceased or stray animal, please call Humane Animal Services at 707-449-1700.

Code Compliance
What do I do if there is a nuisance in my neighborhood?

We strongly encourage that you talk with your neighbor about your concern before contacting the Code Compliance Division.  In most cases, contacting the property owner and notifying them of the nuisance will resolve the problem.  Let the property owner know how this problem is directly affecting the neighborhood.  Explain your point of view and see if a compromise can be reached.  Most property owners will listen and respond to your concerns; they too have a vested interest in the appearance of the neighborhood.

If you find that your attempts to resolve the nuisance have failed, please call the Code Compliance Division at 707-678-7070.  Although voluntary compliance is the objective, involuntary abatement actions will be taken if necessary.

How do I request a code compliance investigation?

Code Compliance investigations can be initiated on a complaint basis. It is the City of Dixon’s policy to make every effort to keep the complainant's information anonymous. However, the reporting party must provide their name, address and phone number before any action will be taken.

When filing a complaint, please provide:

  • Your name, address and phone number.
  • The specific complaint or problem, you feel is a violation.
  • The location of the problem with street name and home number. If the address is unknown, give the location of the property.

To report a complaint, call 707-678-7070 Monday through Thursday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. or send an email to Christina Gojkovich.

Who is responsible for property maintenance and correcting code violations?

According to the Dixon Municipal Code, 9.01.040, it shall be the duty of the owner, and of responsible party occupying or having charge of control of any parcel of land, improved or unimproved, to maintain such parcel of land free of any nuisance and/or nuisance conditions at all times. The same responsibility extends to the public rights-of-way or public land, related to any vehicle, vessel, structure, machinery, container, refuse, debris or other item found to be or having been under the charge or control of a property owner, responsible party, or last registered or documented owner. Any owner or responsible party shall be responsible for the removal or correction of any nuisance or nuisance conditions and the costs for such removal or correction.

Does the Code Compliance Division enforce covenants, conditions and restrictions?

Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs) are generally recorded by a developer upon construction of a sub division and homebuyers may be required to agree in writing to the CC&Rs upon purchasing the home. The City is not party to the agreement and does not enforce CC&Rs. Complaints involving violations of the CC&Rs should be addressed to the respective Home Owner’s Association.

What if I receive a Code Violation Notice and I can't correct the violation by the re-inspection date? What can I do?

Contact the Compliance Division prior to the re-inspection date and they may provide you additional time to make the corrections provided you have made some progress towards compliance and the violation is not an immediate health and safety hazard.

What is the status of my complaint? Why does it seem like nothing has been done?

You can always contact the Compliance Division to find out the status of your complaint. Code Compliance strives for voluntary compliance from the responsible party; this may include extensions in time to gain compliance. All legal processes must be followed and exhausted prior to any direct abatement action taken by the City.

Where do I get a garage sale permit?

Garage sale permits can be obtained from the Police Department during regular business hours. The cost is $7.50.

Where do I call to report an abandoned vehicle on the street?

To report an abandoned vehicle on the street, please call the Police Department at 707-678-7080.

Where do I call to report an abandoned vehicle on private property?

To report an abandoned vehicle on private property, please contact the Police Department Code Compliance Division at 707-678-7070.

How do I register my bicycle?

Bicycles can be registered online at www.frontlinepss.com/dixonpolice.

How do I request an extra patrol in my neighborhood?

If you are going out of town, you may complete a request for a house watch at www.frontlinepss.com/dixonpolice. This is not a guarantee for service. The beat officer in your sector may drive by as necessary when available. If you are experiencing suspicious activity in your neighborhood, you can contact dispatch using the 24-hour non-emergency phone number 707-678-7080.

If someone I know was arrested, where were they taken to?

If the person was an adult, and they were not released on a citation, then they were taken to the Solano County Jail located at:
530 Union Avenue
Fairfield, CA 94533

For inmate information call 888-506-4215.

If the person was a juvenile, and they were not released on a citation, then they were taken to the Solano County Juvenile Hall located at:
740 Beck Avenue
Fairfield, CA 94533
Phone: 707-784-6570 (Administration)

How do I check to see if there is a sex registrant in my neighborhood?

You can view the Solano County Sheriff’s Department Sex Offender website. You may also read more about Megan's Law on the California Megan’s Law website.

Police Reports
How do I report a crime?

When a crime is in progress, and it is an emergency, call 911 and provide the dispatcher with as many details as you can. An officer will be dispatched to the incident, and a report will be taken as soon as the emergency is over.

If you need to report a crime that is not an emergency, you can call our non-emergency phone number 707-678-7080, and the call taker will take the information. A police officer or community service officer will respond and take the report in most cases. Who responds is decided by the call-taker, based on the information you provide. Remember that emergencies take priority over non-emergencies, and delays may occur in handling non-emergency reports.

How do I request a Police Report?

For traffic collisions accidents, you can obtain a copy of your report through crashdocs.org

For other reports, you may request a copy in the following ways:

in person at the front counter of the police department,

via email at policerecords@dixonpolice.org or

via mail at

Dixon Police Department

Attn: Records
201 W A Street
Dixon, CA 95620

Include with your request your name, the case number, your involvement or the involvement of the person you are representing, your address and daytime phone number.

How long does it take to get a report?

GC6254 states we have 10 days from the date of the request to respond to the subject requesting a copy of a police report. The 10 days begins when we receive the request.

How much does a report copy cost?

Beginning November 1, 2020, a copy of a police report will cost $10.

Property & Evidence
How long is property held?

Different types of property are held for different lengths of time. 

For instance: “Found Property” is held for a period of 90 days unless it is claimed by the owner. “Safekeeping Property” can be held for 60 days. “Evidence” items are held until such time as they are no longer needed for trial or the statute of limitations expires. 

Statutes of limitations vary depending on the seriousness of the crime. Additionally, some items can be released pursuant to a court order or authorization from the District Attorney.

How do I arrange for the release of my property?

In most cases you will receive notification from the Evidence Office staff of the releasablity of your property. It is important that you keep your address current with the DMV as that is the most common means used for contacting you. You may call the Evidence Office at 707-678-7070 to inquire about the status of your property or notify them of an address change.

How do I get my property back?

Property is released by appointment only to the legal owner of the property. Legal picture I.D. will be required at the time of the release (driver’s license, state identification card, military I.D. or passport).

School Traffic
Is it legal to drive across double yellow lines or raised markers to pass stopped traffic?

No. Never drive to the left of these lines unless you are: Turning left at an intersection. Turning into or out of a private road or driveway (California Vehicle Code 21460 a / d).

When parking near a stop sign how far away must a vehicle be from the stop sign?

The bumper of a parked vehicle cannot extend into any portion of the rounded corner of an intersection. If there are “No Parking” “No Stopping” signs no portion of the car may stop along the curb beyond the pole the sign is mounted on. It is illegal to park within three feet of a sidewalk ramp for disabled persons or in front of or on a curb which provides wheelchair access to a sidewalk. This applies at all curbs adjacent to the school (California Vehicle Code 22500 l).

Can I park in the designated loading zone (painted yellow) and walk my kids into the school?

No, a loading zone is simply that. When the vehicle is unoccupied or not in the process of being loaded or unloaded, it is considered parked (California Vehicle Code 21458 a).

Can I cross mid block between the crosswalks?

Yes, it is legal to cross mid block or at an unmarked crosswalk as long as it is done safely and does not impact the flow of traffic. It is not recommended that pedestrians cross any street if a crosswalk is within close proximity or crossing guards are present (21954 a California Vehicle Code).

Can I make a U-turn in front of the school or in a residential district?

Yes, if, there are no other vehicles approaching within 200 feet and there is a clear, unobstructed view (California Vehicle Code 22103, 22105).

Can I load or unload my children on the driver’s side of the vehicle?

Depends, if, the door can be opened reasonably safe and can be done without interfering with traffic, and only for a period of time necessary to load or unload passengers (California Vehicle 22517).

Can I stop within an intersection?

No. A driver of a vehicle shall not enter an intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side (California Vehicle Code 22526).

What should I know about bicycles?

If you allow your child to ride their bicycle to school, make sure they wear their bicycle helmet correctly and properly secured. Also teach your child to follow bicycling laws i.e. riding on the right-hand side of the road (same direction as traffic), stopping for stop signs, and a maximum of one occupant per bicycle.

What should I know about pedestrian safety?

Teach your child how to cross the street by using the crosswalk and looking in both directions for traffic. When appropriate, use the crosswalks that are staffed by crossing guards.

What are the laws for driving in school zones?

Abide by all traffic laws. Remember the speed limits in school zones are 25 miles per hour when children are present (regardless of the posted speed). Drive cautiously in school zones, children often do not pay attention and may run in front of vehicles. Buckle up yourself and your children.

What should I know about parking at the school?

Please abide by all parking zones in and around the school; they are strategically placed for you and your child's safety. Especially, do not park in or obstruct a handicapped parking stall (the violation is $280).

Do not leave your child unattended in your vehicle; temperatures can exceed 125 degrees within 6 minutes.

What should I know about fire hydrants?

Do not park within 6 feet (prolongation of the curb line) of a fire hydrant. The fine is $105. The curbs are not required to be painted red.

My vehicle has been towed, how do I get it released?

You may come to the police department lobby at 201 West A Street, Monday through Friday, between 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please be prepared to provide your vehicle’s license plate number, VIN number, or a case number to assist the Records Section in locating the associated paperwork in a timely manner.

Vehicles are only released to the registered owner on file according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles. You will need a valid California Driver’s License, the vehicle registration and any applicable fees to obtain the vehicle. Transfer of ownership through DMV for a recently purchased vehicle must be completed before its release. When the registered owner is unable to come to the Police Department, a “Request Release Form” can be submitted to Records staff. If the registered owner is incarcerated, the jail can provide a vehicle release form for the completion by the registered owner. Both forms give another person permission to obtain the release on the registered owner’s behalf.

If you do not have a valid driver’s license, you must bring a government issued photo identification and a valid driver. If your vehicle was stolen and recovered by the Dixon Police Department, you will need the above documents and there is no fee.

How much will it cost to get my car released?

All vehicle releases are $65. Beginning November 1, 2020, vehicle releases will be $112. Vehicle releases are payable by cash or credit and do not include the fees accrued at the tow yard. (Exact change may be required.)

What if my vehicle has a hold on it?

Some vehicles may be released immediately and others may be placed on a 30-day hold. When your vehicle has been placed on a 30-day hold and you wish to have it release sooner, the registered owner may request an “Impound Hearing.” The Hearing Officer will meet with the registered owner and after reviewing all the facts render a decision.

What do I do if I received a parking ticket?

A parking ticket fine can be paid online at pticket.com/dixon,  by phone at 800-818-1832 or by mail to Office of Parking Violations, City of Dixon, PO Box 11113, San Jose, CA 95103-1113.

If you would like to contest your citation, pursuant to California Vehicle Code Section 40215, you may contest the citation within 21 calendar days of issuance by writing a letter requesting an initial Administrative Review. You must provide the reason you feel the citation was issued in error and include copies of all applicable documentation relating to your appeal. Documents submitted will not be returned. Mail your appeal to: Office of Parking Violations, City of Dixon, PO Box 11113, San Jose, CA 95103-1113. Please provide your mailing address, as you will be notified by mail of the result of your initial Administrative Review.

Where do I go for a citation sign off?

A citation sign off can be done at the Police Department Lobby, at any DMV Office or you may flag down a Police Officer. The vehicle for which the citation was issued for must be present at the time of the sign off to verify the correction of the violation.

How do I register a bicycle?

Replace with text and hyperlink: Register your bike at frontlinepss.com/dixonpolice

Who has to wear a helmet?

While riding a bicycle, skate board, inline skates, or scooter, a helmet must be worn by everyone under the age of 18.

Does my child have to use a car seat?

California Law will require children to ride in the back seat in a properly secured child passenger safety restraint until they are at least 8 years old or until they are at least 4 feet 9 inches in height.

What are the cellular phone laws?

California Vehicle Code 23123 (a) makes it illegal to use a wireless telephone while driving unless it is hooked up to a hands free listening and talking device.

California Vehicle Code 23123.5 (a) makes it illegal to use any text based communication device while driving.

California Vehicle Code 23124 (a) makes it illegal for any one under the age of 18 years to use a wireless telephone or texting device while driving even if it is equipped with a hands free device.